Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Another Intrusion from Twila

Before Cec left for his very important underwater basket-weaving class, he said, "Twila, can you put this in as a PS to part 6 of 6 of my blog?" Being the hardworking, always faithful, and compliant helper that I am, I immediately put down my toenail polish, slid the bon-bons to the side, and headed straight to this blog to relay his message.

Cec's update to Hints for Better Showing (Part 6 of 6) ---

Dave emailed me directly by quoting from my blog: "Most of us know writers who sell big but it's in spite of their weak writing...It says he got away with it. Being a best-selling author doesn't equal being an excellent writer."

Dave said, "I find this very disturbing. If the best-selling writers who write poorly are preferred by publishers and readers, it seems the likelihood of an unpublished writer being published is so minuscule that there's almost no hope in trying. At least not in 2010; maybe 30 or 40 years ago."

The point I wanted to make is that a mediocre writer who can market well does better than an excellent writer who doesn’t market. Publishers and agents want excellent writers who are expert marketers. If they can’t get both in the same person, isn’t it natural that they will settle for excellent sales and mediocre writing?

Also, some novelists aren’t outstanding, but their stories grab people who either don’t know quality or they’re willing to overlook the quality because the plot is good.


(Twila sighed with contentment knowing she had accomplished her task. She was impressed that the dear curmudgeon knew so much about writing and was happy she took the time to relay his message to his followers. To reward herself, she grabbed her toenail polish and bon-bons and settled into her easy chair. "I must pace myself," she said. "If I'm not careful, I'll work more than my normal two or three hours this week.")

6 comments:

  1. Ah, Twila, from one who has met you, (at the FLCWC last year) I know better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha. Yea. Everyone knows that working for Cec means you have nothing at all to do!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vonda's comment made Twila smile again. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scripture tells us "Whatever you do, do your work heartily , as for the Lord rather than for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance." Col 3:23-24. Writers: write and market to the best of your abilities. That's all God asks.The rest is in His hands.And Twila: Thanks for doing what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. Sad, but true. I've read so many books lately that were written poorly. They've did all the things that we are told not to do, yet they get published.

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?