Monday, March 29, 2010

That Pesky Internal Editor

Hi everyone. It's Twila here. (Oh boy, I wonder if that makes sense. Of course I'm here. Do they really need to know that?) Cec let me out of my cage for a few minutes to interject his answer tyo (Oops, that should be to.) someone's burning question about the infernal editor. (Okay, strike that. I meant to put internal editor. And did I really say burning question? I better strike that too. I know Cec will accuse me of using a cliché.)

Anyhow, here's what Cec asked me to post. I hope it will help you. Maybe it'll do me some good as well.

* * * * *

Susan asked: How do I turn off my internal editor when typing that first draft?

I plan to write about that issue later, but here's a brief answer: It takes self-discipline. The more self-demanding you are, the more difficult the task.

I had to keep reminding myself that I could go back and clean up the mess after I'd written it. I also reminded myself that I would probably never finish if I stopped to make changes.

Most professionals write first and edit second.

5 comments:

  1. Love this! How'd you know just how my brain works?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the internal editor - a constant and critical companion.

    http://henya-writingismylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wondered this too, but didn't think to ask! Thanks for sharing Twila and Cec.

    Blessings,
    Jodie

    ReplyDelete
  4. You were right the first time, Twila. You DID mean "infernal editor." Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I look forward to learning more, and yes Twila. You got it right the first time. Infernal editor it is.

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?