Saturday, April 24, 2010

Permission to Quote

Shirley Corder asked permission to quote from my blog. The answer is yes.

People may quote as much and as often as they like provided (1) they ask permission, and (2) they include my name, spelled correctly.

Twila inserts comment here: Cec's last name is Murphey, spelled with an E. Cec really has a problem with those non-E Murphys.

Too many stories and quotations flow across cyberspace without identifying the author. Somebody wrote those words and deserves the credit.

I appeal to all writers: Don’t forward anything unless you know who wrote it and you have permission.

AND don’t change any words. Would you want someone to do that to your writing?

2 comments:

  1. On two occasions I put down a book I was reading that had been written by someone I knew, checked my e-mail, and found the chapter I'd just finished as a forward with no attribution. I told each of the authors and they said there was nothing they could do about it. It was flattering that people liked their work well enough to share it, but they'd never be able to sell it again. Forwarding things without getting permission and giving credit is a form of theft, but lots of Christians do it without realizing it's wrong. Thanks for reminding us not to.

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?