Friday, April 9, 2010

Start to Finish (Part 9 of 10)

Polish the article again.

You've edited once and you're finished.

I doubt it.

Keep editing and revising it until you know you can’t make it better. The first article I ever wrote for publication (and it was accepted the first time out), I wrote eighteen full drafts, and that was in the typewriter days. My first draft was slightly more than 900 words. I tend to be a skinny writer (physically and professionally), and each time I revised I added information and illustrations. When I finished, I had about 2,000 words, which was the right length for periodicals in the 1970s.

Look for redundancies. Most writers tend to overwrite and to say the same thing three or four times with different words. In print, you need to say something only once (unless you're using it as a literary device). Therefore, when you polish, aim for brief articles and short chapters.

Today, articles run 800 to 1800 words and if you stay below 1200 words, you're probably about right. Chapters have also gotten shorter. Look at the novels of James Patterson for example. None of his chapters takes up more than five pages. Each is one scene, and a decade ago editors would have combined several of them into a single chapter. Patterson caters to the byte-size generation and his books consistently hit the best-seller lists.

Your writing may not hit the best-seller lists, but you can make it the best writing you're capable of producing. And if it's your best, that's good enough—for now.

3 comments:

  1. Great tip, Cec. This post hits me right between the eyes. I am wrestling with an article that seems to be winning. Looks like I might need to get a little feistier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reminders. You have a knack of getting to the heart of the matter!

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just want you to know that although I don't comment often, I read every single one of your posts. They are short, to the point and very helpful to every step I take on this writing journey.

    I am new to this field and working on a novel, so I find every bit of information you have to offer quite useful. Thank you so much. I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?