Tuesday, May 4, 2010

About Rejections (Part 5 of 9)

If we assume we've written well, are openly transparent, and have an excellent piece, we still face rejection. The first book I wrote for Don Piper, 90 Minutes in Heaven, has now sold five million copies in English and been translated into 40 languages. It stayed on the New York Times' best seller list for more than three years.

Five or six publishers turned it down before Vicki Crumpton at Revell/Baker was insightful enough to see the potential.

My point: Rejections happen. Every publisher has turned down projects that someone else bought and the book became a best seller. If you're a serious writer, you'll be rejected. I wrote that a few blogs ago but I wanted to hit it again.

Years ago I met a writer named Al, who had written a fast-paced dramatic story about the Israel-Palestinian struggles. Twelve publishers turned him down. Al quit writing, because he couldn't handle the rejections.

Here's one thing you can say after you get a rejection: "I did my best."

Here's another thing you can say: "Next time I'll receive an acceptance."

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder that rejection is part of a writer's life, and to not take it personally!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right! Just because one publisher (or two or three) didn't like it, doesn't mean it's not any good. . . it just wasn't what they were looking for :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super congrats on 90 MINUTES IN HEAVEN'S success, Cec! I have recommended that book to everyone I know. :D You should hear the technician in the optical office I visit explain it! The book has a beautiful heavenly heartbeat.

    I believe that becoming published is all in God's time. It will happen when He decides. Until then every step of the way is a great learning process. We're on a journey of the soul.

    How fantastic you are sharing your experiences and writing tips on this blog!

    Blessings,
    Nancy J Locke

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy, we're looking forward to the June 1 release of Cec's newest gift book, Hope and Comfort for Every Season. Your photography for the book is beautiful! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, dear Twila! The joy of God's Creation grows within me every time I step outdoors. How blessed we all are to have such a caring God.

    Cec's beautiful text in HOPE AND COMFORT FOR EVERY SEASON enlightened me to more understanding of Solomon's Ecclesiastes 3. I look forward to the June 1st release too. :D

    Blessings,
    Nancy J Locke

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes we believe our work is excellent simply because we wrote it! Thank you for reminding us that we must see our masterpieces through professional eyes (and hire a professional editor to edit our work). Hiring an editor should be elementary, but as writers, (at least for me) we can become foolishly attached to our work(seeing it through artistic eyes only). Thanks for the wake up call Cec.

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?