Friday, May 28, 2010

Statements I Hate to Hear from Writers (Part 3 of 3)

"If I could just find the right publisher/editor/agent."

In 1997, I taught at the Greater Colorado Christian Writers Conference. One man had a lengthy manuscript and asked me to look at it. I thought he had a few good ideas but nothing particularly original. It wasn't different from anything I'd read many times.

I told him but he didn't listen.

"If I could just find the right editor, I know my book will sell." Those were his final words.

Afterward I walked toward the dining room and a woman came up to me and said she saw me looking at the man's manuscript. Before I could comment, she said, "He comes every year with the same book. He hasn't changed a word. He's convinced that if he keeps trying he'll find the right publisher."

Since then I've met several others like him. Their attitude says they don't want to grow, don't want to work hard to improve the manuscript, and they're satisfied with what they've written. They're usually the ones who cry about publishing being a closed group and "common people like me" can't get inside. It doesn't seem to occur to them that good writing opens many doors.

To find the right publisher become the right writer.

6 comments:

  1. If I ever say this, you have permission to poke me and say, "Stop it. You can improve your writing if you take charge of it."

    Have a blessed weekend, Cec.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve enjoyed looking over your blog. I came across it through another blog I follow, and I’m glad I did. I am now a follower of yours as well. Feel free to look over my blog and perhaps become one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Cec, for always speaking the truth in love. Being teachable is a key to success in any endeavor, especially writing. Growth requires humility. The more willing we are to learn from those who have succeeded in what we want to do, the more success we ourselves will have. Again, thank you for being such a wonderful mentor. I deeply appreciate you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dr. Marlena DammeMay 31, 2010 at 11:51 AM

    Cec, I'm thankful that you willingly take the time to write Writer-to-Writer. The lessons have become precious nuggets of gold...enough to mentally digest without being overwhelmed with too much information at once. Each lesson makes me think clearer regarding the project that I'm working on. I print them so I can refer back periodically. May God abundantly bless you, Shirley, and your daughter. Happy Memorial Day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Cec. I'll be very careful NOT to say (or even think) these three things.

    Jean Hall

    ReplyDelete
  6. CEC!

    You Paradigm-shifter YOU! LOL!
    Keep living "Outside-The-Box" my friend!...

    Love Omar ;-D

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?