Friday, July 9, 2010

Questions about Beginnings (part 9 of 9)

Last words on first words.

One way to learn to write good beginnings is to see how the professionals do it. Although some do it better than others, I learned a great deal about beginnings by reading only first paragraphs of half a dozen books every day for a week.

Why not try my method? As you read, ask yourself these questions:

• What makes the opening strong?

• Does this paragraph fulfill the three purposes?

• Why does this opening hold my attention? (Or why doesn't it?)

• How could I have made the beginning stronger?

Wise writers willingly learn from the best.

5 comments:

  1. Cec,
    Helpful advice from a master craftsman. We're off and running to the bookshelves--reading six beginnings daily for a week. Yippee. :)

    Abundant blessings & gratefulness,
    Bobbe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cec,
    Your series on good beginnings is clear and concise, a life-saver. I hope to make a quantum leap forward, and eliminate many struggles.
    I'm taking your challenge--reading great expamples of good beginnings.
    Thank you for sharing from your storehouse.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Cec. You are precious to so many of us. We appreciate you. Last night on Facebook, Vonda mentioned your upcoming workshops. One of her FB friends referred to you as "the pope for writers". I totally agree. Thought you might get a kick out of that.

    Bless you!
    Nan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pope for Writers? When the Pope speaks ex cathedra, he's infallible. Hmmm. I like that.

    Or maybe she means I'm an old guy with gray hair--hey, that's who am I.

    Thanks for those kind words, Vonda. Not words I'd claim, but, thank you.

    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha! Oh, Cec, you're SO much more than an old guy with gray hair. You're really smart, too! (Infallible...hmmm...not so sure about that one... but really, really smart!) :-)
    See you in a few days!
    Vonda

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?