Thursday, August 5, 2010

A Question About Newspaper Columns

Leah sent me a private email and asked about counting newspaper columns with articles. Even though I finished the topic of articles first, and this is out of order, it’s a good question.

Does a newspaper column count as article writing? Yes and no. For eight years I wrote a column for a weekly paper, so I respond from my experience. Yes, it means the discipline of writing a weekly column (twice-weekly for Leah). It shows commitment and sincerity. But no, because they rarely edit columns, especially not the way good magazine and ezine editors do. (Also, some writers syndicate their columns so they must all be the same.) In my eight years of writing for no pay, my editor didn’t change a word. I assume it was because I made no grammatical mistakes and punctuated properly. She probably could have improved my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts?