Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Writing Personal Experience Articles (Part 6 of 6)

Final PE Questions We Need to Answer:

As a recap, if you write Personal Experience (PE) stories here are questions to ponder:

• What was an insightful moment? It doesn’t have to be life changing, but it must be significant.

• How can I show this experience to readers?

• What did I learn from this experience?

• What can I teach others from my experience?

Here are four things to keep in mind:

1. Show your emotions as well as your actions. Readers want to identify with you and want to experience your pain and your victory with you.

2. Use dialogue. No one expects the words to be literal, but stay as close to the truth as you can. Dialogue makes stories come alive.

3. Don’t preach. This isn’t a time to lecture; it is a time to share. If you keep everything "I" centered, readers grasp the message through your experience.

4. The lesson or the moral of the story comes out of experience. "This is what I learned."

My bad experiences can become powerful experiences to help readers through their painful experiences.

2 comments:

  1. What a helpful recap, Cec. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cec. I am learning so much from you.

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?