The cliché can be a simple word (utilize instead of use), or a phrase (at the end of the day, at this point in time, or do the math).
Here are a few, and I have several hundred of them. (Or I could use the hackneyed clause, I have literally hundreds of them.)
• The searing pain returned in full blast
• With each passing second
• The last thing I wanted was
• It was marvelous to behold
• To take the edge off
• I was frozen for what seemed like an eternity
• More than I cared to know
• I'll defend it tooth and nail
• Spoiling for a fight
• The defining moment of my life
Clichés work for easy writing;
Clichés also make for boring reading.