Friday, January 27, 2012

Common Problems (Part 26 of 50)

Write biblical references correctly. At the end of the quotation, insert a parenthesis, the reference, translation, and close the parenthesis. Some publishers put a comma between the reference and the translation.

* "The Lord is my shepherd. I lack nothing" (Psalm 23:1 CEB). (Lord appears in small caps. You can find the icon on your tool bar under Tools/customize/commands.)

* "When God began to create the heavens and the earth—" (Genesis 1:1 CEB).


Above I wrote biblical without a capital letter. This is also true with godly because they are used as adjectives and not as nouns. 

I write biblical references correctly.

* * * * * * * * * *

Cec's new book, Unleash the Writer Within, is now available. 

5 comments:

  1. Do we not need a comma between the reference and the translation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeanette asked about a comma between the reference and the translation. Some publishers put in the comma, others don’t.

    My preference is not to insert the comma.

    If it’s the style of a publisher to put it in, the editor will do that or send you their style guide so you can do it.

    Whichever you choose, be consistent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate your clarification regarding "biblical." I've often seen it capitalized in some publications and it bothered me. What's your opinion of capitalizing "him," "he," etc. when referring to the Lord?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Floss asked about capping divine pronouns.
    I don’t because most translations of the Bible don’t (a few of the newer ones do such as NKJV).

    The literary tradition has been not to cap. Read the 1611 KJV. No caps. These days I read mostly the New Living Translation and Common English Bible. No caps.

    Some writers feel it’s dishonoring to God not to cap as if there is some kind of conspiracy at work. How do we disrespect God by not capping pronouns?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cec, To me it has seemed dishonoring, because as kids we were taught to cap pronouns - to show God's sovereign. To reverse that seems to disregard the rule and God's importance. But as I submit devotionals, I notice most no caps, and I'm gradually coming round.

    Why is the word LORD put in all caps?

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?