Friday, April 6, 2012

Common Problems (Part 45 of 50)

Avoid saying I believe, I think, I know, and similar expressions. To use them weakens the statement. People read your words in print and that makes you an authority. If you say it without equivocating, your words carry authority.

* I believe that telling the truth is the honorable way to live. (Telling the truth. is the honorable way to live. Can you hear the difference?)

* I think my methods bring results.

* I know that there will be a day of reckoning for all people.

* It seems to me that our neighborhood is deteriorating. 

When I avoid expressions such as I think
my writing is stronger and carries more impact.

6 comments:

  1. Cec, I just wanted to say I have really appreciated all these tips. Any chance you will put them together in booklet format?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question, Ellen. I've been writing this blog for a couple of years. My assistant, Twila, has been pushing me for a long time to publish my blog entires (with slight revisions) into a book.

    I'm tired of her nagging so I expect to work on that later this year.

    Thanks for asking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking the same thing--this would make a great book. Short, pithy, and right on for writers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I told him so--many, many, many times. He needs to listen to me more often. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would buy these comments in book form and so would my writing group friends. We've appreciated your tips and found them helpful. Thank you, Cec.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too, would love to have all these valuable clarifications together in one place. Let's see.. A year has passed since you made that promise. So what's the title of your book? Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?