Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Writing Articles (Part 11 of 21)

Don't distract readers.

Let's look again at reading two magazines. As you focus on each article, here’s another question to ask: Is there anything that distracts me from a single focus? Less experienced writers tend to provide too much information and thus divert the power of the message.

Once you have a single-focused idea, you can state it in one sentence. Here are examples:

* If you’re considering adoption, here are seven things you need to know.

* People see the patient, but the caregiver becomes invisible.

* I didn't want to forgive Betty, but Betty forgave me.

If I can't reduce an article, scene, or chapter 
into one statement, 
I probably haven't focused.

3 comments:

  1. Do you have tips for catching yourself if you start to go down a rabbit trail? I sometimes think I'm focused in an article or message-I speak, too--but when I edit or practice, I find I've veered off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is hard! Is the task then to create more chapters/scenes and solidify each with one focus/take away? I too, like Ms. Levellie, veer off and down rabbit trails. As a writer I guess we need to learn to cut off those trails in our edits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cec, these are poignant and.practical. I'm equating the process to writing homeletics. It makes valuable sense.

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?