Friday, February 22, 2013

Watch Those Transitions (Part 2 of 9)

That's a silly title because the people who write transitions usually don't need to watch them. The problem is that too many writers jump from topic to topic without taking readers with them.

Writers take their fingers from the keyboard to think about the next paragraph, while their minds keep moving. They start typing again and don't connect with the previous paragraph.

As an example (and those three words are one way to write a transition), let's say Marv's article is about making a six-figure income from writing.

The third paragraph ends: The concept sounds difficult to put into action.

The fourth paragraph begins: I made two hundred dollars my first year of writing.

Do you see the jump from putting something into action and Marv's statement about his income? He needs a transition to lead you to the next paragraph.

Try this:
. . . The concept sounds difficult to put into action. 
For two years I stumbled around until I had the courage to implement my concept. I made two hundred dollars my first year of writing. By my third year, my income had increased one thousand times.

Marv could have made a shorter transition:
Consequently, I made two hundred dollars my first year of writing. 

Because I want readers to understand, 
I provide transitions from paragraph to paragraph.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts?