Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Final Thoughts on Writing Your Story (Part 5 of 5)

If you decide to tell your story, are you the person to write it? Should you hire a collaborator or ghostwriter? A decade ago, I wrote a book for an energetic and talented public school principal in the projects of Philadelphia. We called it I Choose to Stay. The book did well and is still in print. Salome Thomas-EL could have written it himself. That is, he had the talent, but he couldn't do it.

Salome started to write several times, but he kept getting bogged down with other things. It made sense for him to hire a writer.

Another factor is that it's difficult to be objective about ourselves. We tend to be too hard on ourselves or not demanding enough.

I may want to tell my story, 
but first I need to ask, "Am I the best one to write it?"

*****

Writer to Writer: Lessons from a Lifetime of Writing, Cec's new book for writers, is now available.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts?