Tuesday, June 11, 2013

What Does It Take to Become a Ghostwriter/Collaborator? (Part 2 of 3)

As a collaborator, sometimes I feel as if I'm a therapist. I not only listen, but I probe. I try to get the author to open up and to look inside—not a skill most people have. Many successful people are highly ambitious, goal oriented, and intense about what they do; they don't pause to look deeply inside themselves.

Similar to a therapist, I want to learn about them. I also want to be a gentle voice to help them figure out their issues and gain insight on solving them. That's not part of the job description, but it is a factor of my compassion for them.

As I listen and write what they tell me, I'm frequently amazed to have an author say, "I didn't know that was how I felt until I saw the words you wrote." When I hear such responses, I'm proud to be a ghostwriter.

As a collaborator, I listen, I accept, 
and I also help authors understand themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts?