Friday, June 14, 2013

What Does It Take to Become a Ghostwriter/Collaborator? (Part 3 of 3)

Trust.

I can't overemphasize that word. For collaborators to be effective, authors have to trust them. They don't want their secrets whispered to the media or shouted to their circle of acquaintances.

In my first meeting with authors, I assure them I'll never tell anything without their permission. That's my statement, but it's not enough. My behavior must prove my words.

With almost every book I've ghosted, the author has cried at some point and said, "I've never told anyone before, but . . ."

That's when I know the person trusts me; that's when I feel I'm at my best as a ghostwriter. The author accepts me as a person of integrity and as someone who cares. That's important to me.


When I write for others,
trust is the most important quality involved.

1 comment:

  1. I never thought about the trust factor but, of course, it's so true. I've only collaborated on 2 books but, both times, the process, at some point, became difficult for the person. They re-live some painful moments. After they shared these with me, in both cases, I developed a strong friendship with them. It's an interesting subject and a somewhat mysterious one, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?