Friday, July 19, 2013

What Kind of Ghostwriter/Collaborator Do You Want to Be?

We all have different interests and some work better in one field than another. Sally Jenkins wrote the two memoirs of Lance Armstrong. I consider her the top ghostwriter in her field—which is sports.

1. Every good ghostwriter has a specialty. It may be business or education or health and fitness. I especially like underdog stories.

Ask yourself this question: What do I care about? Focus on those things about which you are or could become passionate. Never write only for the money. Seek work, but pass up projects about which you're not interested.

2. Don't work for people you don't instantly like. I've learned the hard way not to take on a project if I don't feel an immediate kinship with the prospective author. In some situations, the best day is the first day.

I've made it a policy (after one bad experience) not to sign a contract until I've met the client in person.

3. The last statement leads me to this: When you meet prospective authors, trust your instincts. If you don't get a good feeling about who they are within the first minutes of the meeting, you probably aren't going to make a successful ghostwriter for that person.

One of the qualities of a good ghost is the ability to intuit. You may not always be accurate on the interpretation of your feelings, but you'll know something inside you that whispers no.

I'm the only person who can know my passions and interests.
I listen to my instincts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts?