Friday, February 14, 2014

Tricky Words (Part 4 of 8)

Is it all right or alright? sneaked or snuck?

Those of us who hold out for two words for all right are losing the battle. Long ago, all ready and all together merged into single words and alright rushes toward the same status; however, most publishers still consider alright as substandard.

The same is true with the past tense and past participle of sneak. From the best evidence I can find, snuck crept into American vocabulary about 100 years ago and has slowly demanded recognition. A few months ago, a CNN headline read, "A boy snuck on to airplane and flew to Las Vegas."

I'm for staying with sneaked, and most publishers prefer the older form.

Because I'm a professional,
I know the standard forms of words.

1 comment:

  1. This was helpful. I have had problems with both alright and snuck. Sneaked just doesn't sound right. I guess it is because I have heard it misused so often. It is good to know that publishers prefer the older form. I am keeping notes on the tricky words for future reference. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?