Friday, April 4, 2014

Building Your Platform (Part 10 of 10)

"Anyone can market," they tell me. Maybe so, but I haven't done very well at marketing myself. My virtual assistant, Twila Belk, has done far more for my visibility than any of my endeavors. (For that reason, she will continue this series.)

Some experts say that marketing or promotion isn't self-promotion or calling attention to yourself. "It's not about you," they insist.

Really? Then who is it about? I hear this especially from the religious/Christian community and I disagree. If it's not about you, don't do it. You might want to think of yourself as a divine instrument. Isn't it about building your platform? If that's true, then who is it about?

You have to sell yourself because you and your product go together with consumers. The more people know who you are (and especially if they like you), the more readily they buy your books.

Not everyone can market, but that doesn't excuse you. These days, marketing yourself and your books are your built-in responsibility. If you can't sell your products, you may need to get help from people who can.

1. What can I do to build my expertise?

2. How do I build my name recognition, so potential readers will identify my product with me?

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for this series. I have learned so much. I'm going to go back and answer all the questions and determine where I can expand

    ReplyDelete
  2. Question: I comment on other blogs often. Is it rude to add my blog address as a way to get more traffic to my blog and increase my platform?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin,
    I think that's a good question and probably one others wonder about.
    I wouldn't call it rude to add your blog address, but I wouldn't count on it sending traffic your way.

    I assume most people are like me: If I read a comment I like, sometimes (rarely) I go to the person's website. From there I might go to the blog.

    For me, it wouldn't be the right motive to leave my block address. I can't speak for anyone else.

    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another question. You talk about a website and blog as separate. Do they have to be? I write a blog but have many side bars for extra information. I could separate them and create a website. Do you recommend that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are two different things. Think of the Website as your business brochure. It tells others who you and , and what you offer. You also give viewers a choice, just as I do with my own website by announcing blogs.
    Blogs change regularly. This blog goes out twice weekly. Why would I want to keep going back to your Website? One visit tells me who are and what you do. Your blog serves a different purpose.
    I have two blogs. This is for writers to help them improve their craft by sharing what I've learned in my career as a full-time writer. My other blog is for male survivors of sexual assault. Both aim at different audiences.

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?