Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Twila's Tips for Building Your Platform (Part 1 of 8)

We often focus so much on the bigger, more time-consuming tasks that we neglect the little things that can make a difference. Here are two:

1) An email signature line. If you aren’t currently taking advantage of this, you can easily create one right now by going to your email options. (I use Outlook, and under options I go to “Create or modify signatures for messages.”) Once set up, the signature line will automatically appear on each email you send, unless you choose not to use it.

On your signature line, always include a link(s) where people can find out more about you or follow you (website, blog, social media). You can add your tag line, the title of your book, a quote, or any type of information, and you have the freedom to change it as often as you’d like.

Not every email reader pays attention to the signature line, but some do. I learned the value of mine when my son was sick and I sent an email to his basketball coach. In the coach’s response he said, “I hope you don’t mind, but I went to your website and learned….”

He went to my website because of my signature line! That’s what we want to happen.

2) A business card. Business cards don’t have to be elaborate or expensive, and today you can order them easily online. Have your business card with you wherever you go and be ready to give it out when the opportunity arises. Again, along with your pertinent information, always include a link where people can find out more about you. And don’t forget to have a stack of business cards with you when you attend writers conferences. (Just trust me on that.)

When building my platform, 
I will not underestimate the value of simple things.

* * * * *

Twila Belk, aka The Gotta Tell Somebody Gal, is a writer and speaker who loves braggin’ on God. She works full time with best-selling author Cecil Murphey and enjoys teaching at writers conferences across the nation. Twila has written or co-written five books and contributed to several others. For more info, visit www.gottatellsomebody.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts?