Friday, April 18, 2014

Twila's Tips for Building Your Platform (Part 4 of 8)

The relationships we build in this industry are important and can impact our platform in significant ways. For example:

In 1998 I attended Write to Publish, my first writers conference, nervous and clueless about a lot of things. I made a connection with one of the instructors there. He saw something special in me and asked me to stay in touch with him. That was before I had email, so he sent me a Juno disc and helped me set up an account.

In 2002, after reconnecting in person with him at an American Christian Writers Conference, he emailed and proposed that we start a writers conference in the Quad Cities area where I live. I moved forward with that idea and directed the Quad Cities Christian Writers Conference for eight years.

In 2007, again at a Write to Publish Conference, that man asked me to work for him.

At the present time I still work for him and with him. Because of my involvement with him I interact with readers, authors, and industry professionals every day. I’ve also written four books with him and contributed to others. The man’s name is Cec Murphey.

Has that connection helped grow my platform and increase my exposure? Yes, in huge ways. Did I know when I first met him in 1998 how different my life would be in the future because of him? No. I’ve learned to not discount the importance of connecting and networking with other people in the writing world.

Because I understand the value of industry relationships, 
I will be nice to people.

* * * * *

Twila Belk, aka The Gotta Tell Somebody Gal, is a writer and speaker who loves braggin’ on God. She works full time with best-selling author Cecil Murphey and enjoys teaching at writers conferences across the nation. Twila has written or co-written five books and contributed to several others. For more info, visit www.gottatellsomebody.com.

2 comments:

  1. Good word Twila- always be polite! I will be sure to share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Diana! Yes, one connection can change our lives in huge ways. I'm glad that I behaved appropriately when I first met Cec. Now I don't have to because he's stuck with me. :-)

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?