Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Why Do I Write? (Part 1 of 3)

About ten years after I began to write professionally, I heard the question, "Why do I write?" Until then, I hadn't considered the reason; I focused on how—how I could get the time to write.

Recently, on TheWritersView loop[1], Frank Ball asked the why question and a number of members responded. Their reasons varied. Some were practical, a few quite spiritual in tone, and I wouldn't argue with any of them.

Here's my response: I write because I'm so full of myself I believe the world is waiting to read my words. I went on to say that it takes a certain amount of conceit to be a writer.

One member objected to the word conceit, but I stick by my statement. I assume she objected to the implication of pride or self-importance, but that's exactly the point I wanted to make. What is more arrogant than to think that I could write words to enrich or change others? Even if my purpose is purely entertainment, doesn't that suggest smugness? Try it another way: Who am I to think that I could entertain or enlighten someone else?

To be a successful writer takes a certain amount of conceit.
It means I believe that I have something significant to say.

[1] TheWritersView@yahoo.com

1 comment:

  1. Agree! God sure has a lot to say to the world, and we are made in His image. He gave the gift of words and truth. Thankful today for all the Christian writers who glorify Him and share truth even when it involves admitting to conceit!

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?