Friday, January 16, 2015

Deciding on Projects

I make a living as a ghostwriter or collaborator, a topic I covered a few months ago*. Recently someone asked, "How do you decide on which projects to accept?"

That's a tough one to answer, and other collaborators may have an entirely different approach. Here are my steps.

(1) If the concept doesn't grab my interest, I pass it by.

(2) If I am interested, I find out enough to sense whether it will be a good fit for me, and if it's one I think we could sell to a publisher.

(3) If I feel positive about (1) and (2), I insist on a face-to-face meeting. It's sometimes expensive for the person to come to me (or more usual) pay my expenses to visit. But it’s vital.

(4) When I meet with individuals, I get caught up in their stories. Recently I learned the word that describes me: empath. If this is also new to you, my dictionary says an empath is one who is able to tune in to the emotional experience of a person.

(5) I have to get away from the individuals and their influence. If I make a decision while I'm with them, it's because of the empathic situation. Only after I'm physically away am I able to listen objectively to what I call my inner wisdom (which I like to believe is the Holy Spirit.)

The series on ghostwriting and collaborating appeared May 10 through August 27, 2013, and can be found in the blog archives.

1 comment:

What are your thoughts?