Friday, January 2, 2015

How Do I Get Motivated? (Part 1 of 4)

"How do I stay motivated?" That question comes up regularly on writers loops. When it does, loopers respond with a wide variety of answers. I find few of them satisfying.

Most of them focus on outward activities—doing things such as forcing yourself to write. Set a timer and stay at your computer until you write 300 words. Get an accountability partner to whom you have to confess if you don't meet your goals.

Do they work? Probably. But they don't solve the problem. Lack of motivation is an inside job. You can circumvent the trouble by performing or doing things, but you don't diffuse the problem. It will recur.

I can force myself to write or 
I can look inward for solutions.

* * * * *

Cecil Murphey's Writer to Writer Conference will be held January 16-18, 2015, at the Hershey Lodge in Hershey, PA, prior to the Munce Group Christian Product Expo (CPE). Faculty includes Cec, Jerry Jenkins, and Shawn and Suzanne Kuhn (SuzyQ). For more information, visit www.writertowriter.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts?