Friday, January 30, 2015

How Do You Define Success? (Part 2 of 3)

"I'm angry at God," my writer-friend said over lunch. "I want to be a best-selling author and God won't let me."

In shock, I stared at him. "You told me you'd published nine novels and countless articles. How many authors do you know who've sold that many books?"

"But I'm not a best-selling author."

Although that conversation happened four months ago, I think of it often. I told him that many authors would envy his record.

"But I can't make a living from my writing."

Then I understood. He needed to have books on the best-seller lists and earn enough to support himself from book sales. I don't know him that well, but my guess is that even if he achieves his goal, he'd still feel unsuccessful.

His dreams of hitting the top of the charts is a fine idea. And it may happen. But even if he does, will he feel like a winner?

Success is an inside job.
It's who we are and not what we produce.

3 comments:

  1. Joseph Campbell said, "If we don't get it here, we won't get it anywhere."

    Hilarious concept, being mad at G*d for not being a best selling author.

    He is being protected, he is being placed on a timeline, he is being given joy & grace, and so much more. Whining about not being a best selling author? He should be more specific with his details. Perhaps in 3 years he is indeed a best selling author, but with diagnosis of stage 4 cancer.

    Been there, done that. Much better to trust Providence. In all.

    Garden & Be Well, XO Tara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently wrote a post on how not to feel like a failure. I think the key as you say is how you identify success. When you are living a life that pleasing God, how can you possibly be a failure?

    http://lindylou-abbott.blogspot.com/2015/01/how-to-not-feel-like-failure.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I once heard a writer say that the Lord told her of Christian books, "All bestsellers do not glorify Me." That has stayed with me for years. Our motives are important to the Lord.

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?