Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Successful Marketers Share a Need for Speed (Part 1 of 2)

(These two posts are from Rob Eagar's Wildfire Marketing and used by permission:  http://www.startawildfire.com/.) 

After training over 400 authors, working with numerous non-profits, and consulting with publishers, I’m frequently asked what characteristics define my most successful clients. My answer is simple, but may sound unexpected.

My most successful clients are decisive and quick. They’re able to swiftly make choices that lead to business growth, such as writing a new book, developing new speeches, maintaining consistent marketing activities, launching new products, etc. Sometimes, the biggest impact on success is that ability to make a decision to do something and complete that task in a short period of time.

This answer usually catches people by surprise. They wonder, “Aren’t successful people the ones with the most creativity, the most money, or the most connections?” Those factors certainly help.

But I find that my clients who have the best time management skills tend to be the most successful. That’s because the internal ability to manage your time well and complete tasks quickly opens up new possibilities that would otherwise remain closed. For instance, if you know that you can manage your time and complete a task quickly, then your confidence level increases to accept that task, put it into your schedule, and get it finished. In contrast, my unsuccessful clients tend to procrastinate over completing tasks.

Or they worry so much about their ability to undertake a task that they psych themselves out of accepting the task in the first place. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. I cannot do it, because my negative mindset won’t let me do it.

If you have good time management and the ability to be decisive, you should be able to do the following marketing activities in the following time periods:

* Write a new blog or newsletter article in 45 minutes or less.

* Set up the layout and send a complete newsletter issue in less than 2 hours.

* Finish a new chapter for a book in less than 2 days.

* Develop a new speech in less than 1 day.

* Post something interesting on Facebook or Twitter in less than 10 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. I can be decisive, but it's a constant battle with questioning my abilities. Interesting food for thought and I look forward to Part 2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saying questioning my abilities is procrastinating gives a different angle on my age old problem. I never thought of it in those terms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't agree with all of this because speed can get in the way of excellence. However, I do know that I must do things more quickly and just yesterday prayed to the Lord to help me to do so. Therefore, there is certainly some value to his comments about speed.

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?