Friday, October 30, 2015

Finding and Writing with My Voice (Part 4 of 7)

Writing with your own voice means you trust yourselves to write with your words, your style, and your outlook.

Writing in your voice means you don't try to sound literary or imitate someone else. Those with a compulsive, inner need to impress with their knowledge are usually the most difficult to help. They need to impress or show off their education. They tend to fill their prose with polysyllabic phrases and esoteric terms.

Perhaps they're afraid to be real. As one writer said, "If I show my true self and you don't like me, that's all I've got." That's risky, but worse is to deny who you are and trying to sound the way you think you ought to sound.

You need to represent your material in the way that serves it best—using the right tone and the right words (your words). I'm not sure anyone can teach you to find your voice, but we can provide the atmosphere and encouragement for you to strive toward recognizing and claiming your inner voice. And when you do, you'll know you're being authentic.

Voice is at the heart of all good writing. You can learn techniques and write in a variety of genres, but if you write from someone else’s voice, the syntax sounds forced, hackneyed, or inauthentic.

I want to be authentic;
I strive to write with my voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts?