Friday, November 20, 2015

Self-care for Writers (Part 3 of 11)

Get physical.

Begin an exercise program. The usual excuse is, “I don’t have time.” I sometimes say, “But do you have time to get sick?” I don’t add, “And if you don’t keep your body moving, it will betray you and make you sick.”

Think of it this way: God created our bodies to be in motion. Those of us who sit in front of a screen for long periods of time need to activate those muscles.

Start by deciding on an exercise that suits you. Walking is the easiest for most people. Other than a good pair of shoes (essential) you don’t need much more. I chose running years ago and still do it.

My friend Larry Leech plays golf; a neighbor gets on the tennis court twice a week. How about ballroom dancing? Bowling? The what isn’t as important as finding an exercise you enjoy and then doing it regularly—at least three times a week.

Instead of exercise being a waste of time, I’ve learned that I’m healthier and more creative. I’m nearly 83, have no physical problems, and take no meds. Daily I thank God and credit my exercise programs and my dietary habits.

I sharpen my tool (my body) every day. I also do a few isometric exercises during the day when I take a break. Nothing for more than five minutes, but enough to recharge me.

Because I care about myself and my productivity,
I find ways to get physical every day.

3 comments:

  1. The best advice. As a small girl, my grandmother once said how much she had to walk. I thought, "Why did you stop?" I am determined to never stop, especially since I am a registered nurse and can see examples of the benefits of keeping active. God bless you. 83 hardly seems old any more, if you keep healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the kick in the butt. I was just thinking of foregoing my walk today. Not now. I saw you in full running gear at the Writer to Writer retreat. You had just returned from a long run. You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a testimony you are to taking care of the temple. Most of us take better care of our cars than our own bodies. Off to walk now!

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?