Friday, November 27, 2015

Self-care for Writers (Part 5 of 11)

Consider healthy eating an exciting challenge, not drudgery. I began my quest for health and disease-free living because of a simple Bible verse. “So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God” (1 Corinthians 10:32 NLT). And later Romans 12:1 became my motivator because it says to present our bodies as living sacrifices to God.

Remind yourself that healthy living is a long-term project. Make realistic choices of what you can reasonably expect of yourself. To accomplish that, most people need to be answerable to someone.

Make yourself accountable. Unless you already have strong motivation and can truly make changes on your own, team up with someone. And make it someone whom you’d hate to disappoint and who will say, “But you said . . .”

Schedule answerable times—and I suggest weekly. For more than 30 years I’ve had an accountability partner, and we meet weekly for mutual growth and encouragement. When either of us promises to accomplish something by the next meeting, we make ourselves liable to fulfill that commitment.

I want to be healthy and productive, 
so I choose someone to help me be responsible.

1 comment:

  1. Accountability is huge! I have a weekly partner for the writing, and another one for "life issues" work. Iron sharpens iron!

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?