Friday, December 18, 2015

Self-care for Writers (Part 11 of 11)

Here are my final thoughts on self-care.

Don’t stay engaged. Back off. You don’t need to answer your cell phone every time people call, or drop everything to text. Let them wait. When individuals have become too pushy and demanding, I start putting time between responses. My cell phone showed the name of the caller, and I made them wait at least an hour for my callback. “I was busy with something when you called . . .” I’d say, and it was true.

Then I started lengthening the response—several hours, then a full day. Except for the most demanding (and least appreciative), they caught on quickly. One woman didn’t get a response from her email from me for 10 days.

“What’s wrong she asked?” on the sixth day. When I did respond on day 10, I said, “I have a lot going on these days.” Detaching from those dispensable relationships is a form of self-rescue.

Reassess your values. It may not be easy, but you can learn to distinguish between the essential and the nonimportant. Not only will you do better as you care for yourself, but you’ll conserve time, energy, and stay more centered.

Pace yourself. You can teach yourself moderation. Is it fun to give yourself so unstintingly all day and feel totally wasted by 6:00 p.m.? Think of the word balance. You’ll probably never do it perfectly, but you can learn to hold back when necessary so you can enjoy the rest of your day.

I like myself 
so I’m committed to taking care of myself.

2 comments:

  1. Outstanding series, Cec! Remarkably, as I gradually understood that some people took several days (or weeks) to reply to my questions, I learned that I could do the same in boundaries with those asking me questions. The fruit of the Spirit of patience comes with the territory of being an author, if we allow it to grow. God does some of His best work in the wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Thank you! I really needed to hear this! I often get sidetracked and distracted by phone calls/texts during the day when I am supposed to be writing.

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?