Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Self-care for Writers (Part 6 of 11)

Avoid too much isolation. For those of us who write full time or spend hours each day at our craft, being alone too much may be harmful.

Many of us get so caught up in our writing that we ignore distractions such as interacting with others. I’m a natural extrovert and it took me a long time to enjoy being alone and writing for long periods. The more recent challenge for me has been to turn off my computer and reengage with the world outside my office. I’m emotionally healthier for making that adjustment.

One of the big factors in mixing with people is hearing their opinions and learning from them. Sitting at my desk, I don’t get feedback and at times I feel lonely.

In my next blog entry, I’ll suggest ways to avoid too much isolation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts?