Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Questions from Readers

Scheduling writing time seems to fall into one or two categories.

My writer friend Deanna* makes a to-do list every day. Her problem is that she schedules more than she can accomplish. She’s frequently late for meetings, never makes her agreed-on deadline with publishers, and by evening, she asks, “Where did my day go?”

My answer to Deanna is that she planned too many things for that day. She was certain she could accomplish them, but one or two always took longer than expected.

One way to fix that is to use the A, B, and C lists. A means those you must do that day. If you get only one item on B, you’ve still accomplished your must-do items.

I’m the other kind of writer. That is, I make my to-do lists inside my head. I nearly always get the work done in less time than I allowed. I detest being late and have never missed a deadline. But sometimes the self-imposed pressure pushes me to work faster than I might otherwise.

Whichever type you are, you probably won’t change much. If you’re used to being five minutes late for lunch with your friends, accept that’s the way you are. But you can learn to allow extra minutes for the various activities and surprise yourself when your two-hour meeting lets you out ten minutes early.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for recognizing that we're wired differently, Cec. We can be led by the Lord as to what methods work best for our unique personality, so we accomplish what we need to each day.

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?