Friday, April 8, 2016

Questions from Readers

I’m continuing the question about writing your personal experiences.

If you want to write a book about your life, start by asking yourself these simple questions:

1. Why do I want to write my personal experience?

2. Is it significant enough to help others or enrich their lives?

3. Do I have only one harrowing/painful account in my life and that’s it? In that case, an article is probably enough.

4. Is there a large enough audience to read my book? Your spouse has Alzheimer’s. You went through breast cancer. You recovered from a heart attack. A powerful, painful experience, but how many people would buy your book?

5. What angle will I take to make my book stand out and not be just another story about a painful childhood?

People who’ve read 90 Minutes in Heaven ask me to write their stories because “I had an experience just like/similar to Mr. Piper.” To that I ask two questions:

1. And then what happened? It has to be more than that singular event.

2. Why would anyone want to read your story? (That sounds more unkind than it’s intended.) But the answer is that unless you offer readers something to help them, they won’t read your book.

(More coming on this topic.)

2 comments:

  1. Great advise. I appreciate the time you invest in us. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cec smiled. He likes being appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?