Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Questions from Readers, Mistakes (Part 9 of 12)

Here are more mistakes authors make.

15. They Don’t Grow Spiritually. I’m not just throwing in religious jargon, and I think this applies to everyone—Christian or agnostic.

For me, it means focusing not only on my writing, but on helping others. I can’t quantify my statement, but I’m convinced that the more we give and share with others, the more we grow. One woman who wrote two best sellers (and was never able to publish again) once said to me, “I’m not going to train my competition.”

“I helped train you, didn’t I? I hoped you’d pass on what you’ve learned.” (Maybe that’s why she never published anything else.)

It means we offer ourselves to others and give what we can.

I believe there is a rule of the universe (as a Christian I’d say God) that the more we give to others, the more we receive. I’ve made a living as a fulltime writer for more than 30 years. I’m convinced a major reason is that I continue to grow and share what I have.

2 comments:

  1. You are one of the most giving men I've ever met in my life. I'm in awe of your generosity and I'm so blessed to have met you. Yours was the first class I attended at Lake Yale and I'll always consider you one of my main mentors. Your books on writing are like a conference in a book. Peace to your day and your life, dear brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you. I think I enjoy helping others as much or more than seeing one of my pieces published. Don't get me wrong, I love to see my name in print, but helping others see theirs is near and dear to my heart. You were a big part of that when I received your sponsorship to WTP 2014. Thank you for helping me get started.

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?