Tuesday, August 2, 2016

More Questions from Readers (Part 1 of 6)

Introverted and Extroverted Writers
Ruthie Denise asks a significant question: How does a shy person who can’t talk much write?

It may surprise Ruthie, but many writers tend to be introverted and often shy. They can’t readily talk about their writing and hesitate to ask questions.

If you truly believe you are meant to write and share your heart, you’ll have to learn ways to do it. Some of the best writing I’ve encountered comes from reclusive types who aren’t articulate in person and don’t fit well with large groups of people.

Write anyway. Books, magazines, and even attending writers conferences can be your way to publication.

If you’re asking about promoting your work, see my next blog entry.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that anyone can be a writer. Our personalities don't seem to limit our imaginations. I do hope Ruthie Denise doesn't, like many people do, confuse introversion with shyness. Introverted people aren't necessarily shy. The introvert prefers solitude to energize herself; being around people for very long can be exhausting. An extrovert, on the other hand, is energized by being around people, even large groups. As an introvert, I am not shy (though some might be). I'm quite friendly and can carry on conversations with ease.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paula, of course, you’re right. I tried to avoid the shy part because I know several extroverts who are shy (until they get into a group structure). Further, Jung himself pointed out that the terms are preferences and not absolutes. My late wife was a true introvert—except at work. There she functioned as an extrovert (and came home exhausted). We can function as either.

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?