Tuesday, August 16, 2016

More Questions from Readers (Part 5 of 6)

Introverted and Extroverted Writers

For you introverts, here’s more help.

4. Focus on your message (or book) instead of yourself. “My message motivates me to get out of my introverted comfort zone,” Jim Watkins said, “because I remind myself that the word message begins with me. If I feel that I have written something important and helpful, I have to market it, give radio and television interviews, and make personal appearances. No one else is going to champion my work or my perspective with the same passion and excitement.

“Being comfortable as a promoter has taken time and practice—and I'm still a certified introvert,” Jim admits, “but I have learned to be an extrovert in short spurts, such as thirty-minute interviews and hour-long talks. Then it’s back to my office or a hotel room to return to my default setting of introvert.”

5. Learn about promotion. “Part of what makes me an introvert is that I am self-conscious and afraid to embarrass myself,” said Jen Krausz, who emphasizes reading about promotion. “If I know what’s acceptable in the area of marketing, I’m more confident that I won’t make an embarrassing blunder.”

Read everything possible about promotion. Watch the experts and observe what they do that will fit with your personality. Ask a few extroverts for tips. You may be amazed at how willing they are to share their insights and techniques.

Years ago on a writers loop, at least ten people presented their best tips for successful marketing. As I read them, none of them fitted my personality. And I felt terrible for not liking them.

Then this thought hit me: They’re doing all those marketing activities but none of them are successful; I don’t do most of them, and I’m successful.

Read and listen. Accept what feels right to you.
Ignore the rest.

1 comment:

  1. You wrote this just for me, didn't you?
    Thank you~

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?