Friday, August 19, 2016

More Questions from Readers (Part 6 of 6)

Introverted and Extroverted Writers

6. Try online connections. If you have difficulty speaking in public, this could be a big, initial step toward promoting. You build confidence in yourself because you can hide in front of that monitor. Later, when you meet people you’ve contacted online, it’s easier to open up and build up even more self-confidence.

7. Send out press releases or letters of introduction. Follow up with a phone call (or have an extrovert do that for you). You probably do well on writing letters; now you need to develop the ability to make those phone calls.

8. Remind yourself that the more you promote, the more comfortable it becomes. Sheila Seifert wanted to teach at writers conferences, so she sent out publicity about herself to 50 conference leaders—and that was an immense stretch for her. One conference director invited her to teach. She did well and that opened other doors.

* * * * *

Finally, as an introvert, remind yourself of these three things and say them to yourself:
  • I am the best one to promote my book.
  • If I don’t promote my book, who will? My friends can help, but it’s still up to me. 
  • Promoting gets easier with practice.

1 comment:

  1. I've enjoyed reading this series. I usually don't have trouble speaking in front of small groups. However, after being asked to offer the morning devotion at a women's retreat several years ago, I realized I needed some help organizing my thoughts and staying on point. Joining Toastmasters has helped me to communicate better in front of groups as well as face to face. I decided it would be handy in learning to promote the book(s) I'm writing too because I learn to think on my feet with impromptu exercises. Last week, I even presented a teaching session for other toastmasters in a nearby city. Thanks again for all your help.

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?