Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Maximize Your Media Interviews (Part 1 of 2)

(This post comes from Don Otis.)

P.T. Barnum once quipped, “Without promotion, something terrible happens... nothing!” And without trying to be sacrilegious, even Jesus had a front man; John the Baptist prepared the way for Him. Why should you and I be any different with our own books in needing or soliciting help?

The publishing world has changed drastically since I started my first PR agency in Los Angeles in 1991. Depending on the source you use, as many as 500,000 books are published each year in the United States. And as recently as 2012, self-publishing saw triple digit growth. You are a published author, so you know the often-painful process it takes to give birth to a book. I understand this process too.

Even though I am a publicist, I made mistakes along the way. I thought if I just got an interview and just answered questions that people would want to buy my book. I was wrong. That didn’t happen. Not until I had already done 300 interviews did it occur to me that maybe I needed to do something different. Today, part of what I do for new authors is to give them ideas about what works or what doesn’t in the interview process.

* * * * *


—Don S. Otis, president of Veritas Communications, a publicity agency, has scheduled more than 30,000 interviews since 1991. He is the author of five books, has hosted his own radio show, and has produced radio and television shows in Los Angeles and Denver. veritasincorporated.com

1 comment:

  1. Hey Cec and Don, I'm an avid reader of Cec's Writer to Writer and enjoyed catching this article too.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?