Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Those Nagging Little Problems (Part 3 of 16)

Reflexive pronouns trouble some writers. Some, who don’t know grammar but try to act knowledgeable, often use sentences like “He gave the money to Maggie and myself.” The person should have said, “Maggie and me.” The incorrect usage is because the speaker probably doesn’t understand reflexive pronouns.

Here’s the rule: Whenever we use a pronoun ending in -self or -selves, that form must point back (reflect) to a noun or pronoun near the beginning of the sentence. For example, Herb poured himself a drink. (Himself is correct because we know it refers to or reflects the subject, Herb.) I doubt that anyone would write this sentence: I poured a drink for Maggie and himself.

Because I’m a careful, professional writer, 
I remain aware of reflexive pronouns.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Cec, I am learning a lot about writing from your e-mails. Remembering all the rules are sometimes hard so I keep your book within arms reach.

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?