* * * * *
Here are a few obvious things every interviewee ought to know, even if you have done hundreds of interviews.
- Be on time. A live interview at 3:00 pm means 3:00 pm, not 3:15.
- Be prepared. Have your book or materials in front of you and be ready to roll when the interviewer calls, or when you are scheduled to call the studio.
- Be upbeat. Bring energy to the process.
- Be engaging. Interact. Don’t answer “yes” or “no” and leave it there. Elaborate.
- Be aware of the clock. If you hear bumper music, begin to wrap up your answers. Know when the interview is supposed to end.
- Be flexible. Change happens. No one likes it but it is part of the experience. If a late-breaking news story preempts you, accept a reschedule with grace.
- Be grateful. Thank the host or producer for having you on.
- Be willing to call the station or program if you do not hear from them at your scheduled interview time.